Friday, August 6, 2010

Is it August Already?

I have been busy at school helping our new principal Mrs. Chesnut, get things ready for back to school. It's going to be a great year!
My latest book is Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary. Don't you love the name Beezus? Did you know her sister's name was really Beatrice? It's funny how some nicknames originate.
I read the Ramona series years ago when my girls were students at St. Charles. Re-reading the book brought back great memories of curling up on the sofa and reading with them.

I am happy to announce the book has stood the test of time. It was actually first published in 1955. Although a few words may be outdated, it is still a great read for students in the younger grades. With the movie debut and excellent reviews, it may be time to get your hands on a copy and become a reading detective. Try to discover how the story differs from the book. Although I have not seen the movie, I have read that Beverly Cleary was pleased with how the movie was produced. Apparently it is very true to the book. I'm sure it will be quite entertaining to actually see Ramona and her imagination in action.
Today, Beverly Cleary is 94 years old. Did you know her birthday, April 12th, is recognized as National Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.) Day?
If you like the book, there are so many great Beverly Cleary chapter books. they follow Ramona from the age of four to fourth grade. Have fun reading...so many books...so little time!
SEE YOU SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment